Newly resident at Carriageworks, Sydney Chamber Opera is a fresh and youthful answer to some of the difficult questions facing today’s opera industry. Louis Garrick and Jack Symonds established SCO in 2010 and it has rapidly developed into an important and distinctive voice in the Australian music and theatre landscapes.
SCO is critically acclaimed for its innovative programming, musical rigour and strong focus on compelling theatre-making. At SCO we make opera with a 21st-century outlook that resonates with a new, younger audience, and that shows how vibrant and relevant the artform can be.
Each year we stage two to three productions of 20th and 21st-century repertoire. Our program is a balance of specially commissioned work by leading homegrown composers, the latest international operas in their Australian premieres, song cycles and cantatas in unusual stagings, and canonical repertoire reinvigorated by the country’s most daring theatrical talent.
- Artistic Director
- Jack Symonds
- Principal Artistic Associate
- Huw Belling
- Artistic Associates
- Danielle Maas, Mitchell Riley, Jane Sheldon, James Wannan, Pierce Wilcox
- Raji Ambikairajah, Angela Bowne SC (Chair), Ban-Foo Leong (Treasurer),
- Liz Nield, Patrick Nolan, Penny Stannard, Jack Symonds, Christine Williams
- Belinda Bentley, Angela Kwan, Maeve McCarthy, Maryam Tabari,
- Daniel Zafir
- Prof. The Hon. Dame Marie R. Bashir AD CVO,
- Bryan Belling, Prof. Matthew Hindson AM, David Malouf AO,
- Kim Williams AM
- Postal Address
- SCO, Carriageworks
- PO Box 3035
- Redfern, NSW 2016
- 76 394 890 611