- “Lively minds, promising voices and a clear musical and theatrical vision”
- Sydney Morning Herald
- “The Vixen is cunning and so is this production.”
- “A big ol’ wintertime hug”
The Cunning Little Vixen is a classic modernist opera. A multi-layered parable of the inevitable cycles of nature, birth and death, it is striking yet poignant. Jonathan Dove’s adaptation for chamber forces exposes Janacek’s remarkably modern conception: tessellations of lithe and sinuous fragments of music drive the circle of life.
Julie Goodwin, acclaimed star of high-profile national tours of West Side Story (2010-11) and The Phantom of the Opera (2007-9), leads a cast of sexy foxes, bitchy hens and diva dogs in director Kate Gaul and conductor Jack Symonds’s lean, modernist production, performed in a new, tasteful, English translation. Vixen has been known to inspire romantic nostalgia and nature-worship but here Gaul and Symonds are bringing her into the twenty-first century.
“I can’t sit and watch all this conservatism… I’d rather bury myself alive”- Vixen
- Jack Symonds
- Kate Gaul
- Hanna Sandgren
- Lighting Design
- Luiz Pampolha
- Julie Goodwin, Bryony Dwyer, Alexander Knight, Simon Gilkes, Ashley Giles, Anna Dowsley, Sylvie Humphries, Jared Lillehagen, Elli Green, Sarah Briety, Daniel Nicholson, Maria Hemphill, Elissa Tran, Marisa Panzarin, Agnes Sarkis, Amanda Stephens-Lee, Children’s Chorus, & Orchestra
- July 30 - August 6 2011
- CarriageWorks Bay 20, Wilson St, Chippendale